Jan 24, 2021

A creative approach to practicing Bach

 

[written version]

I improvise on the violin as a jazz violinist and am always looking for good devices and phrasings that I can use in improvisation. 

And I sometimes use Classical pieces to get these devices.


For example, I wanted to get better at odd meters,

So here’s how I’ve been practicing odd meters;

Using Bach solo violin pieces.


Let’s take Partita no. 2 D-minor, Giga.

Originally written as 12/8. 


I’m gonna try to play this piece as 5/8 

by shortening the last two beats of every 6 beats into one beat.

You can still look at the original score, but change of the meter should be done in your head.

I recommend using a metronome and setting to 5/8 so that you can keep track with a 5-beat cycle. 



Through this exercise, 

I can develop the stronger sense of the 5/8 feel in my body 

and find out which bowing works well and not.


I can also discover some nice melodic lines and rhythmic motives I can incorporate in my improvisation.

This also helps when I feel stuck with fresh ideas or imagination when I play written music. Changing meters gives a fresh look of melodies that you’re already familiar with. Just like it’s done so many times in jazz.


Try with other pieces. You can also do 7 or 9 meters. Or even 3. 

ex.)

4/4 reduced to 7/8 

6/8 reduced to 5/8 

4/4 reduced to 3/4


I hope this exercise also helps you in some ways.

Let me know how it goes for you in the comments below.


Happy playing!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment