Jan 17, 2021

Reality Check?! Practicing scales? Do it the right way!



 

 

 [written version]


I want to talk about the importance of practicing scales.


Well….., 


You might have heard that a million times.


And yes, it IS important to practice scales. 


BUT, 


I want to tell you about a danger that comes with it.


If you practice a scale a million times with wrong intonation, 


Your ear will get used to the wrong intonation.

 

This actually happened to me.



After years of not taking lessons and practicing on my own,


I took a lesson from a person who is a notable violinist whom I respect very much.


He told me straight up, my intonation is off on this note and that.


And I didn’t notice right away.


I went back home and had to listen to the recordings, and I realized that he was right.


Then, I realized that I played the note out of tune so many times


That I couldn’t perceive it as out of tune anymore.


This was a big reality check for me.



And I’m not the only one here,


I’ve witnessed from years of freelancing that


this happens quite a lot among string players.



So, I highly recommend you do a reality check for yourself sometimes.

 

How?


I do that by practicing scales with play-along tracks. 


You can tune in to the play-along’s reference pitches which is a great way to train your ear.


I recommend all my students to practice scales with play-along tracks that I have in this channel. It’s all available for free.



So, please check them out and practice with it and let me know how it goes.


Happy playing!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment